12 May Air conditioning in the car: tips for its proper use and maintenance
The heat is approaching and it is time to check the air conditioning system of your car. Works? Do you know how to identify your problems? Take a look and follow these tips to know how to use it and get it ready for the arrival of summer.
The air conditioning is one of the most important systems of the car at the comfort level. And in summer, in a country like Spain and the high temperatures that lie ahead, it is even more so. It is a system that, although it does not look like it, requires the correct use and a minimum of maintenance that the driver is responsible for if he wants to avoid possible breakdowns … and not only during the summer.
Not only to take it to the workshop when it plays and be aware of its revisions, also to make an appropriate use, without abusing it. In addition, as you will see below, if you apply some simple tips and tricks, you can lengthen its useful life and know how to identify the symptoms that end in the breakdown. Very attentive.
1.CARRY OUT AN ADEQUATE MAINTENANCE OF THE AIR CONDITIONING
If you want your car’s air conditioner to work properly over time, you should be aware of any deficiency that may arise, since only automatic air conditioners (and not manual or semiautomatic) have a light indicator that indicates a possible breakdown of the system.
You must perform adequate maintenance. The basic advice is that, at least, you should check its operation once a year, before the arrival of summer. You can always take a look under the bonnet, clean the radiator and check the coolant level.
For example, you should go through the workshop every two years to recharge the air conditioning gas; You can do it yourself, but it is a very complex task and in a workshop, it does not have a high cost. The air filter is also important: manufacturers recommend that it be changed once a year every 10,000 kilometers. If you drive on dirt roads, which raise more dust, these intervals should be noticeably lower.
2.IDENTIFY POSSIBLE FAILURES
As we said, not all cars will warn us that the air conditioning system suffers a breakdown. However, if we attend to these symptoms, we can detect them:
– The cabin filter is clogged: when you connect the air conditioner and there is not enough air left, it can be due to this problem. The filter may be dirty and, consequently, clogged. Replacement cost: about 20 euros.
– The fog is concentrated in the crystals: that means that the air conditioning does not cool enough. The problem can be solved by charging the gas from the circuit. Cost of recharge: about 35 euros.
– The system does not work: if you hear any noise coming from the engine area, it may be that your car’s air conditioning system is damaged in its compressor. Repair cost: about 400 euros the change of the compressor.
– Unpleasant odor when the system is switched on: moisture may have accumulated in the ventilation ducts, and the circuit may be infected with dust, fungi or bacteria.
3.KNOW ALL THE ELEMENTS OF THE AIR CONDITIONING
The system of the air conditioning of a car consists of several elements to take into account: the filter of the cabin , that filters the air, pollen, dust and dirt, and that requires a periodic change; the compressor , which compresses the gas and releases the operating cycle of the air conditioning system; the condenser , which cools the gas and ensures that it passes to the liquid state that has been compressed by the compressor; the evaporator , which cools the air circulating inside the car and removes moisture; the expansion valve , which allows the passage of fluid from liquid to gas, which generates cold; and the dehydrating bottle, which filters impurities and recovers moisture from the circuit to protect the compressor. Continue reading- Car breakdowns that you can avoid with your driving
4. WHAT IS BETTER: CIRCULATE WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN OR WITH THE AIR CONDITIONING ON?
A question that many drivers pose. Here are some truths : driving with the windows down , especially from a certain speed, can slightly increase fuel consumption by trying to maintain the same speed as with the windows up; On the other hand, turning on the air conditioner involves the use of a mechanical compressor driven by the distribution of the motor, which can also slightly increase the consumption and subtract a little power . Even so, for convenience, and given that the differences are minimal, it is always advisable to wear the air conditioning.
5. THIS IS THE IDEAL TEMPERATURE FOR THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT
Experts talk about a recommended temperature between 21 and 23 degrees. A higher temperature can affect the concentration of the driver, with the safety problems that this entails to the driver himself and to the rest of the people on the road. A lower temperature, over a long period of time, can increase your car’s fuel consumption by up to 20 percent.
6. HOW TO REDUCE THE INTERIOR TEMPERATURE OF THE CAR BEFORE USING THE AIR CONDITIONER
Here are some tricks to reduce the interior temperature of your vehicle without having to abuse the air conditioning system, which leads to greater fuel consumption and faster deterioration.
– Use umbrellas in the front window. Such as the metallic ones that are rolled up, and curtains for the windows. You can get to reduce the temperature up to 15 degrees and its cost is very low.
– In summer and very hot days. Lower the windows of the car to lower the temperature inside before connecting the air conditioning. If, in addition, you have the car in a place of trust, you can leave them a little low previously.
– In winter, do not forget to periodically turn on the air conditioning so that the ducts are not obstructed. To eliminate the fog of the crystals, you can also use it with the high temperature.
– The trick of the doors. We have seen it in several television programs: if you open one of the windows on the right side. And quickly open and close the driver’s door, you will help draw the hot air out of the passenger compartment by up to 10 degrees. Check it yourself in this video.
You may like this- “http://esscnyc.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-car/”